Università S. Sebastiano


The history of the Monastery and the Church of San Sebastiano begins in 1380, where the intersection between Rio de San Bastian and Rielo de San Bastian stands today, now buried. During that time, a new group of religious individuals, the Gerosolomini, founded by Blessed Pietro Gambacorta from Pisa, settled in Venice, quickly gaining the locals’ sympathy, who referred to them as “The Hermits of Saint Jerome.” In 1393, Friar Angelo from Corsica, associated with the Franciscan Order, joined them and established a Hospice in the area.

Over the years, between 1405 and 1455, the construction of a larger new church and an adjoining monastery began. The church was dedicated to the Madonna and San Sebastiano, to whom the local community felt indebted for protecting them during the plague of 1464. In 1470, many individuals joined a devoted Confraternity in the same church, dedicated to San Sebastiano.

However, in 1505, the Gerosolomini decided to completely rebuild the monastic complex. The works, overseen by the architect Abbondi known as “lo Scarpagnino,” commenced to create a new church, this time facing west. This involved intensive construction activities, engaging a wide range of professionals.

Three years later, the construction of the new convent began, completed after five years, while work continued in the church to finish the three main chapels until 1534. However, from 1535, there were internal issues within the religious community of San Sebastiano, with scandals and disorder caused by the General Rector Fra Mansueto da Tiberiaco.

These problems led to a crisis in the convent, and in 1539, Pope Paul III removed Fra Mansueto da Tiberiaco, appointing Apostolic General Vicar Fra Bernardo Torlioni da Verona to reform the Congregation and resolve the chaos.

During this turbulent period, the renowned painter Paolo Veronese, still young, lived in San Sebastiano for some time. The determined Prior Torlioni became Paolo Veronese’s main supporter for the magnificent decoration of the church and sacristy that we can still admire today.

The Monastery was then converted in one of the location of the University of Venice (Ca’ Foscari).